gapless relative clause; telescoped relative clauses

"There are a lot of people that it just destroys their life."
gapless relative clause
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usage.english/browse_thread/thread/dae46b2577585a23#

individual message from Mark B.

Example by Alan C.:
Here's one from Futurama... Bender says to Robot 1X: "I can use you as a
tool to save my friends, and I'll still be the hero who everyone says
how great he was!"

gapless relative clause:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005019.html

"A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" by Quirk et al
[quote]
17.21 telescoped relative clauses
The distinction between restrictive and nonrestrictive .... we should ....  to view it as a gradient rather than a dichotomy between ... ... example of the TELESCOPED relative construction:
All this I gave up for the mother who needed me.               [1]
[end quote]
([1] is basically -->  All this I gave up for a person who needed me, ie my mother.    [1a])
 
My note: [1] in "pure" restrictive relative construction it would imply he  has many mothers. But it's not (hence it can't be a "pure" .... )