My brother's ordeal

      My phone rang. It was my brother.

      (We conversed in Chinese.)
      “Guess what? I failed at opening a new bank account.”
      “What happened?” I asked him.
      “Did you see the Citizen Bank's new TV commercial? The $100 deal?”
      “Yes.”
      “Well, I went to one of their branches this morning. The bank teller told me there were four conditions for getting this $100 deal. I understood the first two, but couldn't understand the last two. I asked again, he explained again. Then, he gave up. He said he tried twice and I still didn't understand, so I left.” My brother kept saying, “ I didn't want to give up. After I came home, I called their hotline and asked the person to speak slowly because of my bad experience at their local branch. Finally, I got it!”

      My brother continued his story. “Also I figured I should get a cell phone for my job, so I stopped at a Radio Shack on my way home. Gosh!” Then he said, “How quick!

      The last two words he said were a mix of Chinese and English. I thought he meant the clerk at Radio Shack set up his new cell phone real quick, but my brother continued, “He spoke very fast. I could hardly understand what he was saying!”

      In the end, my brother didn't get a new phone. We talked a bit more about which cell phone vendor gave a better deal and such. After that, we discussed a possible trip to Chinatown tomorrow. He had a craving for “hot pot” at a restaurant over there. The idea sounds good because it has been so xxxxxxx cold for the past 2 weeks!!