Neurologist

      A while back I frequently accompanied my girlfriend to visit her father. She placed him in an assisted living, so it wasn't uncommon to see old folks there who were, well, "not all there." 

     One of the residents there was particularly energetic and bright. This old lady was lean and petite. My girlfriend told me she was a neurologist, but the sad thing was she had Alzheimer. I remember, right after she told me this, I was thinking "How could that be? Just look at her. She moves around and about just like everyone else." By saying "everyone else," I meant people in general. And her smile. She always smiled.  I never once saw her without that big smile of hers.

       One day my girlfriend called and asked me to pick her up at her father's place. I got there, but I couldn't find her at the lobby as she'd told me on the phone, so I walked inside and tried to find her.

"Are you looking for someone?" It's that lady with that bright smile.
"I'm looking for ..." I gave her the description of my girlfriend, and told her I was supposed to meet her at the lobby.
"I know where she is. I'll show you. Just follow me," and off she went with a risk walk. "Make sure you can keep up!" she said to me.

      So she led me to the dining room, and I saw my girlfriend there. I thanked the lady, and she walked away with a big I'm-glad-I'm-of-help smile.

      My girlfriend was helping her father get settled in the dining room, so she asked me to wait for her. On my way back to the lobby, I ran into that same lady with her big smile again.

      “Are you looking for someone?”