Declined -- (1)

     "Your credit card is declined," the cashier said it with an apologetic smile.

*     *     *     *     *     *

     My gf wasn't very happy with her new HP notebook computer. The supposed-to-be-slick design tripped her left and right, and she often complained to me "The screen went blank again!" (which I later found out she accidentally touched the "suspend" button.)

This morning she saw two great deals on a store ad, and she brought up the same old topic again, so I said to her "How about this. I buy this Toshiba you like. You have it, and I'll use your HP?" I'm just tired of hearing her rants, and I do have a need for a new laptop to replace my old iBook. I do like her HP and I've been doing some comparisons lately, and to be frank, it's really a good deal price-wise and function-wise.

     "Really?" she said it with a big smile on her face. I could almost see twinkles in her eyes.

*     *     *     *     *    *
     When we arrived at the store, there were already three people hovering around the notebook computer section. My gf made her way through them and got a ticket for the computer she desired (she later said it's the last one), gave it to a store associate and he brought back a big box soon after. We brought the computer to the register and I paid it with my credit card.

     On our way out, my gf looked at the store flyer again and she found out the computer came with a free all-in-one printer (after rebate of course).

     "Why do you need another printer? We already have...," I wasn't exactly pleased because we already have three printers sitting around in the house.

     "It's free," she said. Well, I couldn't really argue with that because ink cartridges nowadays often cost more than brand new printers--when they're on sale of course.

     What happened next involved voiding my last credit card transaction and charging everything from scratch again. After the cashier finished scanning all the items and everything, she returned my credit card to me and said “your credit card's declined” with an "I'm sorry" smile.

     “What? How can that be?” it really caught me off guard because it never happened to me before. I was annoyed and upset, but what could I do?

<...to be continued>