Red light

     “Have you played 'Red Light'?”

     The other night I was driving home, my gf sitting next to me. She asked me this question when I stopped at a traffic light.

     It was 10:30pm and I was tired, so I didn't quite get it. I was thinking, “Play red light? How can I play this red light?” My eyes fixated on the bright red traffic light. It was as if it was hypnotizing me and not willing to turn green. I was tired.

     “When we were kids, we used to play 'Red Light'. You can run when it's red light....” she went on and told me her childhood memory.

     “Oh! I remember! We call it 'Red Green Light'!” It's like I came back to life and got all excited all of a sudden. “I don't quite remember the rules, but I think you can run when you are green, and you have to stop and say 'Red Light' if 'It' is about to touch you.”

     “That's right! You people stole it from us!” She laughed.

     “Wow, I can't believe it. It feels like something long time ago. I almost forgot all about it.” The traffic light turned green. I shifted the gear and resumed driving. While I was driving, I couldn't stop thinking--how much childhood memory had I lost?