關於「孝順」的英譯

關於「孝順」的英譯 -- filial piety。以前在中學就學到的,但是搬到外國人那裡情況就是不一樣....
Newsgroups: tw.bbs.lang.english
From: "Chris Nelson"
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:04:01 GMT
Local: Wed, Jan 30 2002 12:04 pm
Subject: Re: filial piety......
    The term "filial piety" is a scholarly term used when studying the cultures of east Asia, particularly Chinese and Korean cultures. Few English speakers have heard of the phrase unless they have studied Chinese culture and Confucianism.
    You could, however, say something like "He is a dutiful son", and people would understand.
    In the west, there is no concept of filial piety. The closest we get is the Biblical commandment to "honor your father and your mother".
另一個這樣子說:
Newsgroups: tw.bbs.lang.english
From: Jim Walsh
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:24:48 +0800
Local: Sat, Jun 26 2004 2:24 pm
Subject: Re: ....

    There is a part of Chinese culture from Confuscius which is translated in all the dictionaries "filial piety". Until I came to Taiwan, I never heard the words "filial piety" and I didn't know what they meant and had to look them up in a dictionary.
    Well, that actually didn't help, but only fooled me worse. It said filial piety was formal for treating ones parents as they should be treated. Well, the simple truth is that I DO treat MY parents the way MY culture says I should, but it is not remotely like what my Chinese friends meant when they said those words.
一個關於中文英譯的建議:
Newsgroups: tw.bbs.lang.english
From: Jim Walsh
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 14:31:31 +0800
Local: Tues, Jul 3 2001 2:31 am
Subject: Re ...........

    Whenever I find some Chinese word which has no comparable equivalent in English, I recommend using the Chinese word.
    For example:
    I live in Taiwan. [no comparable equivalent]
    I got a hong bao(*1) [no comparable equivalent] from my boss for the Dragon Festival.
    I work in a buhsiban(*2). [no comparable equivalent]
-----
    註釋:
    (*1) 我猜原意是指"香包"吧
    (*2) 補習班。我在會話班上課的美籍老師當時也是直接講"補習班"這個音

<<我的一篇舊 文>>