Redbox nightmare

     What would you do when you spotted a suspicious transaction on your credit card statement? Well, today I saw one and I was pissed.

     It was a $25.02 charge and the description was REDBOX DVD. I was shocked and thought I ran into some sort of scam because Redbox is a one-dollar movie rental, so how come they charged me $25.02!? Then I remembered I rented a DVD from a REDBOX DVD rental kiosk a while ago. Apparently, they thought I didn't return the DVD and charged me the full price of a movie, which was equivalent to buying it from them. But the thing is I RETURNED IT THE VERY NEXT DAY!!

     Anyway, I went online, found the website, filled a request form and explained what happened (together with "I'm not going to rent any DVDs from you again!"). Five or six hours later, I got a reply from their customer service: "I have refunded you back for the price of the DVD ($25.20) as you say the DVD was returned the next day. It will take 3-5 business days before you see the credit on your account. If you have any questions feel free to call or email us."

      Well, I'm happy with the result (assuming I'll see my refund in 7 days), but, what does "as you say" mean? He took my words without verifying it? I mean I'm glad that he "trusted" me, but shouldn't he at least check their records? Perhaps, their machines make so many mistakes that they simply give refunds to anyone requesting one.

      I was lucky because I checked my financial statements, but even I had a difficult time remembering small details because it was two months ago! When I found out the charge, the first thing I did was to find the receipt, but I couldn't remember where I put it! I searched two piles of my receipts on my desk, and then I remembered there wasn't one to begin with--the machine doesn't give you a printed receipt but an electronic one that you won't get unless you give them your email address. I wanted my privacy, so I chose not to give them my email address, and as a result I didn't get any receipt.

      Anyway, I'm done and I'm not going to go through the same hassle again.

========
Update:

I got my refund within a week.

========

Another update:

Well, I still rent DVDs from them from time to time...