Dude, Where's My Thanks?

     So, I was at the food court in a local mall buying my lunch, and all of a sudden a guy next to me said "Dude, do you have a nickel?" I turned to him and realized it was a young man, and by the look of it, he worked somewhere at the mall because of his loose white dress shirt and black pants. Before I could say no, I heard myself saying "Sure" and searching for a nickel in my pockets.

     If it weren't because just a short moment ago I had a lot of loose changes in my hands when I was paying for my lunch, I would have simply said no, but I was pretty sure he saw it. What could I do but to hand him a nickel with a smile?

     Just when I was expecting him to reach for it, I saw a deformed hand--that poor young kid, it must be from an accident because part of his hand (I can't remember it's his left hand, right hand, or both) was cut off. I think I kind of froze right there, but I tried to be cool about it, so I was still waiting for him to grab the money with his fingers, or what's left of it.

     Well, he managed to get the nickel without any difficulties and I was relieved, but afterwards he didn't say a word, not even a nod or a smile; I felt like I was taken advantage of. Wait, now to think of it, maybe he didn't feel comfortable the way I stared at his deformed hand? Well, it's not my fault! I was waiting for him to get the money and my eyes had to watch the whole "transaction"... BUT I could've just handed it all the way over and placed it in his palm. hum..... It's too late anyway.