Spam

No, I'm not talking about spam e-mails. I'm talking about the canned meat made by Hormel Foods Corp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28food%29

To many people, it's crap because it doesn't taste very good, but it's very cheap, so cheap that it's been around forever and “has earned a special place in pop culture, and has even entered into folklore and urban legend” as wikipedia puts it. To me, it reminds me of dog food, but I don't especially hate it, and I do eat it “occasionally” -- like three times over the past ten years.

A friend once told me a story about his colleague and Spam. His colleague was from Minnesota, where the maker of Spam is. During one of his trips back home, he decided to pay Hormel a visit.

”Because he loves Spam,” my friend told me.
”Is it really?”
”That's what he told me. Who knows, maybe it's an excuse so they'll give him a tour.”

Anyway, that was exactly what he told them and what happened. They were very excited (possibly thinking “there ARE people who actually LOVE our product?!) and gave him a tour. Like every other tour of this sort, they also gave him free samples -- “Spam”s!!