House of the Dead

(SciFi channel is playing "House of The Dead". Well, it's not scary at all...)

I remember I hated this kind of "living dead" movies when I was a kid, or should I say "They scared the hell out of me"? The funny thing is I never watched any single one of them; the only thing I saw was previews on TV and that was enough to give me nightmares. I knew it was all fake, but those zombies looked real enough, and I really couldn't stand the sight of seeing someone trapped inside a zombie-infested well and struggling to get out.

Apparently, the first movie was a big hit, so a series of "living dead" movies soon followed (just to jog your memories, if you're old enough, they are "生人勿近","生人迴避", etc)

Another one that scared the s**t out of me was "Friday the 13th"; it was the torturing scenes that prompted me to flip to another channel; I was fine with seeing a translucent or fog-like ghost but not a machete cutting through a torso!

Then came "A Nightmare on Elm Street". I guess the "trauma" I suffered when I was a kid stopped me from seeing this movie and its sequels. It wasn't until a friend told me they were actually quite funny that I started renting the tapes and watched them. Well, I wouldn't call it "funny" but he was right--they weren't scary at all.

Well, let's get back to the TV. So far, I have no idea what this "House of the Dead" is about other than a lot of kung-fu kickings, shootings and explosions. I guess the directer tried to make his movie look more "hip" in the hope that youngsters would love it, but I must say he failed miserably. It's not an action movie, after all.